Frequently Asked Questions—Or should we say Frequently "Barked" Questions?
1. Why did the AKC decide to launch the AKC Canine Partners® program?We launched this program in an effort to act more broadly and effectively as the dog's champion. Our goal is advocate for ALL dogs and the people who love 'em. Being more inclusive of all dogs allows us to reach more dog owners with our responsible dog ownership message as well as support our efforts on Canine Health research and AKC Humane Fund. We also want to encourage more people to participate in the exciting world of dog sports. There's nothing more fun than watching that pooch of yours compete like an Olympian.
2. What are the benefits of the AKC Canine PartnersSM program?
- LIFETIME enrollment in AKC CAR Lost & Found Recovery Service
- AKC CAR collar tag with AKC Canine PartnersSM Program Listing Number
- One-year subscription to AKC Family Dog magazine
- Complimentary 60-Day Trial AKC Pet Healthcare Plan*
- Eligibility to participate in Agility, AKC Rally® and Obedience Events
- AKC Canine PartnersSM Program Official Certificate (Decree of Dog Fun)
- AKC Canine Partners Decal
3. Who is eligible to participate in the AKC Canine PartnersSM program?The AKC Canine PartnersSM program is for ALL dogs, including mixed-breeds and dogs that are not eligible for AKC registration. All dogs in the AKC Canine PartnersSM program must be spayed or neutered. Wolf hybrids are not eligible.
4. What if I own a dog that is recognized as a "purebred" by organizations other than the AKC but is not recognized as a purebred by the AKC? Can I participate in the AKC Canine PartnersSM program?Yes. You would be eligible to enroll in the AKC Canine Partners Program. Your dog would be required to be spayed or neutered. Dogs enrolled in the AKC Canine Partners program are designated as "All American" dogs when entered in an event.
5. How can I enroll my dog with the AKC Canine PartnersSM program?Owners may enroll in the AKC Canine PartnersSM program either online at http://www.akc.org/mixedbreeds/listing/index.cfm or download a paper application at http://images.akc.org/pdf/mixedBreed/ADM001.pdf. If you do not have access to online services, please call 919-816-3749 to have a paper application mailed to you.
6. What type of events can my pooch participate in?Dogs enrolled into the AKC Canine PartnersSM program may participate in Agility, AKC Rally® and Obedience trials.
7. How do I start participating in AKC events?Dog owners interested in participating in AKC events can go to the dog activities tab to find an AKC club that offers training classes in their local area. There are many classes to choose from based upon your needs. The AKC Canine Good Citizen® certificate program is another great way to kick off your training regimen. This program encourages responsible pet ownership and rewards dogs with good manners. If you are already experienced in AKC Rally®, Agility or Obedience all you will need to do is list your dog with the AKC Canine PartnersSM program to receive your AKC number, and enter events accepting mixed-breed entries.
8. What types of titles will my dog be able to earn?The same titles purebreds can earn in Agility, AKC Rally® and Obedience events.
* The 60-Day Trial Plan is provided by the master policy issued to the Association of American Pet Owners. Activation required. Administered by PetPartners, Inc. Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company, 907 NW Ballard Way, Seattle WA 98107-4607. Not available in all states and only available to U.S. residents. Eligibility restrictions apply. Contact PetPartners, Inc. for terms and conditions. Must be activated within 28 days of AKC Certificate Issued date. Visit www.akcpethealthcare.com/trial or call toll free at 1-866-725-2747.