Why Train Your Dog?Let's face it, ALL dogs need training. Teaching your dog new skills and manners is a positive (yes, positive), rewarding experience that strengthens the bond between you and your canine companion. And you really can teach old dogs new tricks. If you adopted an older dog, you should enroll them in a class too. The old dudes enjoy learning and working with you, the same as a puppy or younger dog.
- Help correct nuisance behaviors such as jumping on people, digging, barking and chewing, while providing mental and physical activities for your dog.
- Deepen the bond between you and your dog.
- Ensure your dog's safety and happiness.
- Show how good canine companionship can benefit your family, neighborhood and community.
- Allow you to enjoy the fun and excitement of competing in AKC obedience and agility trials, among other activities.
Examples of Types of Training Classes:
- Puppy Class—A puppy class emphasizes socialization with people and other puppies. Instructors usually offer information on growth, nutrition, grooming, housebreaking and problem-solving, and teach basic household commands. If taught by a Canine Good Citizen® evaluator, the class may be designated as an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy® class and result in your puppy graduating as an AKC® S.T.A.R. pup! Who doesn't want an AKC® S.T.A.R. pup?
- Basic Class—A basic training course for older puppies and/or adult dogs, aimed at training you to train your dog. It emphasizes the essential training commands needed to make a dog a good companion: walk on a loose leash, sit, stand, down, stay in position and come when called... This basic training is important in keeping your dog safe.
- Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Class—CGC is a certification program that rewards dogs that have good manners at home and in the community. Your dog will need to know the commands and exercises taught in a basic training class to qualify for a passing score on the CGC test. Dogs that pass the CGC test receive a certificate from the AKC and are recorded in the AKC's Canine Good Citizen Archive. You might even qualify for a break on home insurance. Cha—Ching.
- Training Classes for Companion Events—A variety of classes that prepare students and their dogs for competition in obedience, agility, tracking and other AKC events. You'll learn the levels of competition and titles available, how to teach your dog the required exercises, and the regulations that apply when you are competing. Ready to be a superstar?