|AKC RDO Days is sponsored by:
2013 AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days
Dear Dog Lover:
We hope you will join us in September 2013 as the AKC invites and encourages all dog and pet-related organizations to commemorate AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days by holding a community event that publicly promotes responsible dog ownership anytime during the month. If this is your first time participating, Create an Account. If you’ve hosted an event in previous years, login here to enter your event details.
The first 600 AKC clubs and dog organizations to register by August 2, 2013 will receive a free packet of information and giveaways to distribute at a local event.
The AKC will be hosting its own event in Raleigh, NC on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds. This flagship event will highlight the AKC programs and services that support responsible dog ownership. It will also publicize to news media and the dog loving community that events are being held across the country by organizations such as yours.
Some suggestions to help commemorate AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days include:
- Breed Parades/Meet the right dog for you
- Obedience/Agility/Rally/Performance demonstrations
- Encourage attendees to try an agility or rally course with their dog while club members coach them along
- ID clinic- Hold an AKC Reunite microchip clinic
- Rescue information booth
- Health clinic/health screen testing/First Aid for dogs
- AKC Canine Partners demonstration and/or booth
- Hold free training class for dog owners and give a presentation about AKC Purebred Alternative Listing Program or AKC Canine Partners
- Therapy/SAR Dog or Police K9 Unit demonstrations
- "AKC Safety Around Dogs" for kids presentations (in-school or for children's groups)
- A kids contest with awards for best drawings, photos or essays about dogs
- AKC Canine Good Citizen test (requires additional kit purchase)
- Seek sponsorships or donated items from local businesses to be raffled or for contest prizes
- Raise money to donate/dedicate needed items to local dog park/runs (pooper scoopers, bulletin boards, water fountains, etc.)
- Fundraising events for AKC Canine Health Foundation
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspapers
- Obtain a proclamation from your Governor, Mayor etc.
Last year, more than 650 dog clubs and other organizations hosted events reaching millions of dog lovers and potential pet owners through extensive media coverage. Dog lovers also posted thousands of "Acts of Responsible Dog Ownership" on our Facebook and Twitter pages to help us celebrate "Virtual AKC RDO Days." This year, follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest AKC RDO Days updates!
We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to interact with the public and gain positive exposure for your club, breed and the AKC. Your participation will help this worthwhile program continue to gain momentum each year, benefiting dogs and dog owners everywhere!
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.
Club Communications Manager
Create your account
|Create an AKC RDO Day Account | Forgot Password | Login|