Grand Championship Competition for Event Committees
Exhibitors are excited about the opportunity to earn the new Grand Champion (GCH) title and we see an increase of entries in Best of Breed competition as a result of this new title that Champions can earn! Although we sent repeated correspondence to 28,625 exhibitors that have completed their CH title over the past few years and all of the conformation judges, we still find some are confused about the program.
In order to assure that your show committee, ring stewards, and club members are well versed on the program and the judging procedure, here are answers to questions that have caused confusion during the first weekends of shows with the GCH competition.
- GCH competition is now a mandatory part of Best of Breed (BOB) competition. Clubs may not “opt out” of offering the competition.
- Winners Dog (WD) & Winners Bitch (WB) are not eligible for GCH points.
- If a class dog wins BOB or BOS deserving Champions are still eligible to be awarded Select Dog (SD) or Select Bitch (SB) and receive GCH points.
- Up to four deserving Champions may be awarded GCH points in each breed’s BOB competition. GCH points may be awarded to BOB, BOS, SD and SB.
- Ring stewards can help by assuring that the judge marks all spaces in the judges’ books concerning GCH awards. If GCH points are awarded the armband number must be marked. If GCH points are withheld the space should be marked with NA or a “dash” to indicate not awarded.
- Champions that win non-regular classes are eligible for GCH points.
- Light blue & white ribbons are required to be offered for SD & SB in each breed. In order to minimize expenses for clubs, additional GCH ribbons are not required for BOB or BOS. However, clubs may offer a dark green “Special Prize” ribbon or rosette for GCH BOB and GCH BOS if desired.
- Judges have been instructed to inform BOB & BOS handlers if GCH points were awarded.
- Some clubs choose to present an inexpensive 3X5 card for GCH BOB & GCH BOS winners.
- Contact the AKC Executive Field Representative with any questions concerning judging questions. If a field representative is not present at your event call the Weekend Club Hotline at (800) 252-7894.