The judging of Junior Showmanship carries with it a responsibility to the future of the fancy combined with a desire to interact with our youngsters. Conformation JS judges must possess the knowledge of how all breeds should be presented in the ring.
One may apply to judge Junior Showmanship only, or in conjunction with an application to judge breeds, or apply for Limit Status which would only allow an individual to judge Juniors at a Specialty show of a breed for which they are approved to judge.
The criteria for the being eligible to judge Junior Showmanship includes experience in two of the following:
- Having been a Junior
- Being the Parent of a Junior
- Having been a Professional Handler
- Having taught handling classes
- Having judged Junior Showmanship at least three times at AKC All Breed Sanctioned Matches
- Having attended an AKC Sponsored Seminar on judging of Junior Showmanship in the last 24 months