-- Lee Arnold, Carl C. Ashby III, Alan Kalter & Harvey Wooding Elected --
New York, NY – At the Annual Meeting of the American Kennel Club on March 12, 2013, the AKC Board of Directors Class of 2017 was elected.The four Directors elected were: Lee Arnold, Delegate for the Southern Colorado Kennel Club; Carl C. Ashby III, Delegate for the United States Kerry Blue Terrier Club, Inc.; Alan Kalter, Delegate for the American Bullmastiff Association; and Harvey Wooding, Delegate for the Westminster Kennel Club. In addition, Alan Kalter (American Bullmastiff Association) was elected as Chairman of the Board and Dr. William R. Newman (Mastiff Club of America) was elected as the Vice Chairman of the Board at a meeting of the AKC Board of Directors, convened after the Delegates Meeting.
- Alan Kalter, of Ann Arbor, MI, brings a unique combination of experience in the world of purebred dogs, business, and marketing to the AKC Board. As an active breeder/exhibitor of Bullmastiffs for over 20 years, he has produced 160 champions including BIS, BISS, and five generations of Group winners under the HappyLegs registered prefix.
He is the past President of the American Bullmastiff Association and currently serves as a director and Delegate. Alan was also one of the original Board members of the AKC PAC and still serves.
Professionally, Alan was the CEO and owner of a multinational, multibillion dollar advertising agency employing 1000 people throughout 11 offices in three countries. The company developed Morris Animal Foundation's communications including the Canine Cancer Campaign, as well as AKC pro bono marketing, and originating "We're more than champion dogs. We're the dog's champion."
- Dr. William R. Newman, of Bedford, Pennsylvania, has been a member of the Mastiff Club of America for 45 years. He has served the club as president, vice president, secretary, AKC Delegate, show chairman, and newsletter founding editor. Dr. Newman has produced numerous Mastiff champions and is the co-breeder of a three-time national-specialty winner. He has judged numerous Mastiff regional specialties and the national specialty show. Deeply committed to canine health, Dr. Newman has served the AKC Canine Health Foundation as a director and Millennium Founder. Dr. Newman is a board-certified radiologist and former hospital chief of staff. Newman holds a B.A. from Hofstra University, in New York, and an M.D. from the Downstate University and Medical College.
AKC Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Alan Kalter, of Ann Arbor, MI.
- Lee Arnold of Saddle River, NJ entered the dog world in 1985. He and his wife breed and exhibit Chinese Shar-Pei and have produced champions and Best in Show winners. He is currently the AKC Delegate for the Southern Colorado Kennel Club. He has served as treasurer and board member for the Ramapo Kennel Club, as a board member of the Somerset Hills Kennel Club, and was a founding member and President of the Non-Sporting Group of the Garden State. He is also active in the Stewards Club of America.
The chairman of the Chinese Shar-Pei Charitable Trust since 1995, Mr. Arnold has raised over $300,000 for health research. He also joined the Board of the AKC Canine Health Foundation in 1997, and currently serves as the organization’s Chairman.
A graduate of Emerson College and a recipient of a Masters Degree in Communication Arts from Boston University, Mr. Arnold has worked in broadcasting as an on-air personality, music director, program director and news anchor. For the past ten years, he has commentated on ESPN and Animal Planet dog shows.
- Carl C. Ashby III of Greensboro, NC became involved in the sport of dogs in 1971 through the obedience ring. He and his wife quickly developed an interest in the conformation ring and bought their first Kerry Blue Terrier in 1972. Since then, they have bred and exhibited Best in Show winners, specialty winners and 25 champions.
Mr. Ashby joined the Forsyth Kennel Club in 1973 and has served as board member, show chairperson and treasurer. He has also been active in the Virginia Kennel Club and Carolina Kennel Club. He was a founding member of the Carolina Terrier Association and has been Delegate for the United States Kerry Blue Terrier Club, Inc. since the late 1980s. As a Delegate, he has served on the Delegate Advocacy and Advancement Committee, the All-Breed Club Committee and the Perspectives Committee. As past chairperson of the United States Kerry Blue Terrier Charitable Fund, Mr. Ashby helped to raise $50,000 dedicated to the health and future of the breed.
Mr. Ashby worked for AT&T for 27 years, ultimately becoming President of Custom Manufacturing Services, one of only 23 business units in the company. He grew the unit from sales of $15 million to sales of over $200 million with 900 employees, two factories and nationally known customers. He is currently employed as president and majority owner of Ann Crittenden, Inc., which owns and operates a chain of Hallmark Gold Crown Card stores.
- Harvey Wooding of Redding, CT got his first dog in 1972 and entered the obedience and conformation show world in 1974. He has been a breeder-owner exhibitor ever since. Mr. Wooding is Delegate for the Westminster Kennel Club (WKC).
A member of the English Setter Association of America (ESAA) since 1976, he has served as President, National Specialty show chairman, chairman of Judges Selection Committee and on the Board of Directors. He proposed the first ESAA Agility Trial in 2002 and was instrumental in securing AKC permission to hold an annual National Championship Field Trial.
Mr. Wooding is also a current member of the English Setter Club of New England, Newtown Kennel Club and Westchester Kennel Club. In addition to his Delegate duties for Westminster Kennel Club, he is on WKC’s Show Committee, the club’s Chief Ring Steward and hunt test secretary for WKC’s annual AKC-licensed hunt test.
Professionally, Mr. Wooding has over 40 years of sales/marketing and senior management experience, ranging from corporate positions to starting and running his own business. He received a B.A. in Economics from Bucknell University and an MBA in Marketing from Xavier University.