AKC National Owner Handled Series
AKC National Owner Handled Series Q & A
- What is the purpose of the AKC National Owner-Handled Series?
A. To recognize and showcase the quality dogs being exhibited by owner/handlers and to provide a venue for the owner/handlers to compete against their peers.
- How do I enter the AKC National Owner-Handled Series competition?
A. The entry form http://www.akc.org/pdfs/AEN999.pdf now has an Owner/Handled eligible "check box" located below the lines for signature and telephone number. There is no additional fee required to enter this competition.
- How do I find a show that offers AKC National Owner-Handled Series competition?
A. AKC National Owner-Handled Series shows are listed at http://www.akc.org/ohs/events.cfm.
- When and where will the end of year competition be held?
A. The inaugural end of year competition for the AKC National Owner-Handled Series will be held in conjunction with the AKC/Eukanuba show in December 2013. Dogs that finished ranked in the top ten (plus ties) for their breed for the 2012 or 2013 qualifying years will be invited to compete in the competition. The qualifying period for the 2012 qualifying year is January 1, 2012 through October 10, 2012. The qualifying period for the 2013 qualifying year is October 11, 2012 through October 9, 2013.
Inviting the top dogs from two different qualifying periods to the inaugural end of year competition will allow exhibitors extra chances for competition and time to qualify. Our intention for future end of year competitions is to invite the top ten dogs from only the immediately prior qualifying period.
- Is the AKC National Owner-Handled Series the same thing as the Amateur-Owner-Handler Class?
A. The Amateur-Owner-Handler Class is a regular class and the winner of this class will compete in the Winners Class for AKC Championship Points. The AKC National Owner-Handled Series is a special attraction that selects an owner/handled dog from all eligible dogs in the Best of Breed ring including the Winners Dog or Bitch. However, no points towards a championship will be awarded in the Series.
- Since AKC National Owner-Handled Series competition occurs in the Best of Breed ring, how can owner handled class dogs compete?
A. Eligible class dogs that are selected Winners Dog or Winners Bitch are included in the AKC National Owner-Handled Series judging.
- Can I change handlers during competition?
A. Dogs must be handled by an owner/handler eligible for the AKC National Owner Handled Series throughout the breed level competition for the point show. This includes the class competition and subsequent competition in the breed ring. Additionally, dogs must be handled by an eligible owner/handler for all AKC National Owner Handled Series competition. If the replacement handler is an eligible owner/handler for that dog a change can occur.
- Can a professional handler's spouse or child exhibit a dog in this competition?
A. No, household members and assistants to professional handlers in Conformation are not eligible to exhibit in this competition.
- I have shown dogs for friends and was given gas money. Am I now ineligible?
A. You may compete in the AKC National Owner-Handled Series as long as you are not a professional handler as described at http://www.akc.org/ohs/about.cfm. Any type of remuneration associated with the service of handling a dog in the Conformation ring meets the definition of a professional handler in regards to eligibility for the AKC National Owner-Handled Series. Compensation for expenses outside of the Conformation ring does not meet this definition.
- Can a professional Handled co-own a dog in the AKC National Owner-Handled Series competition?
A. No. Dogs cannot be owned or co-owned by a professional Handled (as described at http://www.akc.org/ohs/about.cfm) and be exhibited in this competition.
- If the Select Bitch is eligible is my Winners Bitch still eligible for further AKC National Owner-Handled Series competition?
A. Yes, unless the Best of Winners was awarded to an eligible Winners Dog.
- My friend handles several dogs for people. Is she allowed to enter and compete in this series?
A. Yes, as long as your friend is not or has never been in a professional handlers organization, distributed rate cards or otherwise represented themselves as a professional handler as described at http://www.akc.org/ohs/about.cfm.
- Are judges allowed to compete in the AKC National Owner Handled Series?
A. Yes, if they have never worked as a professional handler as described at http://www.akc.org/ohs/about.cfm.
- What are the qualifications required to judge the AKC National Owner-Handled Series Groups?
A. In order to assure the judge is experienced at this level of competition, AKC strongly recommends the judge be approved to judge at least one group.
- Can a judge steward and judge an NOHS Group on the same day?
A: If the only assignment a judge has for the weekend/cluster is an NOHS Group they must abide by the same restrictions as a sweepstakes judge. Therefore, they may not exhibit on the day of their assignment and may steward after their judging assignment is complete. If a judge has regular class assignments on the same day/weekend/cluster as an NOHS Group assignment they are held to the policy applicable to regular judges in that you may only steward after your entire judging assignment is complete.
- How do I protest an ineligible exhibitor who competes in the AKC National Owner/Handled Series?
A. Speak with the AKC Executive Field Representative in attendance or send signed protests with supporting documentation that an exhibitor was ineligible to:
Attn: Director, Event Operations
PO Box 900051
Raleigh, NC 27675-9051